Learn the fundamentals of community-centric fundraising.
Community-centric fundraising is a practice that is rooted in equity and calls for approaches that are centered around social and economic justice. It includes the prioritization of the needs of community donors and stakeholders as opposed to individual donors and supporters.
Along with assisting nonprofits in their awareness as they develop their campaigns and outreach strategies, community-centric fundraising:
- Regards donors as partners and community members who have a say in the decision-making.
- Emphasizes on achieving collective goals for the community.
- Identifies the need for interdependence and showcasing organizations that can best serve the community.
Community-Centric Fundraising Principles
Community-centric fundraising can help nonprofits embrace new methods when approaching donors. Below are five community-centric fundraising principles nonprofits should know.
- Fundraising must be grounded in tenets of race, equity, and social justice. This includes investing in fundraisers who come from the communities you serve, training fundraising in systemic racism, wealth disparity, and other areas related to social justice, and encouraging donors to think about social justice topics.
- Nonprofits should be generous and supportive of one another. A critical component of community-centric fundraising is that nonprofits don’t regard each other as competitors but as partners with the common goal of strengthening the community.
- The collective community is the priority over individual missions. With community missions interrelated, nonprofits and fundraisers should regard themselves as part of an ecosystem that is working to build a more just society.
- Time and money are equally valued. Those who can donate their time and talents are treated as an equal resource to those who donate money.
- Community-centric fundraising avoids treating anyone as an “other.” This includes being intentional in content making sure that existing archetypes and stereotypes are avoided.
Benefits of Community-Centric Fundraising
While there is limited research on its effectiveness, there are benefits to community-centric fundraising.
One of the most important benefits is that it builds morally minded fundraisers by forcing the review of practices and removal of barriers that have historically excluded some in our community. Another benefit is that it taps into a new generation of donors who are looking to have a greater civic impact with their philanthropic goals. Additional benefits include:
- Building relationships within the community
- Increasing awareness to local causes within the community
- Encouraging teamwork
Community-centric fundraising can break barriers in the way that nonprofits see philanthropy. We at Philanthropi are breaking barriers in unlocking the potential philanthropy’s most valuable resource, the everyday giver. Philanthropi seeks to connect nonprofit organizations with donors who are equally passionate about their cause and are looking to contribute to the ecosystem of philanthropy. Learn more about how we can provide you with the data that can assist you in campaign planning by visiting our website.
Philanthropi is an online giving platform that provides nonprofit organizations with a tool that allows them to track their donations and connect with prospective donors enabling them to spread their message to a new audience.
Beyond functioning as a donation tracker, our platform will provide you with the data that can help you make better decisions about your fundraising goals. Learn more about how Philanthropi can help your nonprofit go to the next level, connect with us at www. philanthropi.com/nonprofits.
Founded in Philadelphia in 2019, Philanthropi is revolutionary charitable giving by democratizing philanthropy through its giving-as-a-service platform, allowing everyday donors to seamlessly support their favorite nonprofit organizations.
1 Per the National Philanthropic Trust